Foley Wins it For Walpole in 2OT


By Jake Levin @jakelevin09

WALPOLE— Conor Foley scored twice in the final 1:39 of regulation for the No. 12 Walpole Rebels on Tuesday night, all but sealing the deal for the home team.

That was until the No. 23 Wellesley Raiders answered with two of their own in the final 21 seconds, as Michael Manning’s netted the equalizer with just eight ticks on the clock, sending the game to overtime all square at 7-apiece.

Foley was not done just yet, however. After the first overtime passed without a score, Foley scooped up a bounce pass just outside of the crease, and finished in the back of the net, punching No. 11 Walpole’s ticket to the postseason with a dramatic 8-7 win over No. 23 Wellesley.

“He’s been huge for us all season, it’s what he does,” Rebels co-captain Ryan Birch said of Foley’s heroics. “He’s clutch.”

Foley accounted for half of Walpole’s goals on the night, also scoring once in the first half to tie the game at 3-3. The Rebels would rebound early and never trail again, despite falling into an early 3-0 hole.

Wellesley scored three times in the first six minutes of the game, riding the hot hand of Hugh Callahan. The junior attackman scored the game’s first goal and assisted on each of the next two.

The well ran dry and then some for the Raiders, however, who would not score again until the fourth quarter when Callahan did his best to rev the engine up again.

While Teddy Darcey had another outstanding game in the cage for Wellesley, making 10 saves in all, there was only so much he could do with Walpole controlling the time-of- possession thanks to the work of Kyle Hirshom and Robert Colburn at the faceoff-X.

Hirshom gave the Rebels their first lead of the game with just 29 seconds left in the third quarter, the lone goal of the period but a sign of a see-saw affair in the fourth.

Even prior to the insanity of the final two minutes, it was clear the stakes were raised by the time the fourth quarter began for the longtime Bay State Conference rivals.

Callahan’s second and final goal of the night tied the game at 4-4, just 1:30 into the fourth quarter, a score which held for nearly eight minutes until Cam Scales put Walpole back on top.

Wellesley wasted no time evening things up once again, with Teddy Komjathy converting a scoop-and-score on the faceoff-X a mere 6 seconds later.

Less than a minute after that, Foley scored his pair of goals to give the Rebels their lone two-goal cushion of the night.

On a night when Wellesley’s offense was continuously flummoxed, that margin should have been enough.

Grasping at their last straws, Nicholas Marvan gave the Raiders a pulse with 21 seconds left in regulation. A violation at the faceoff-X gave the ball right back to Wellesley, which converted in the most stunning of fashion after ringing the post yet still managing to come up with a fortuitous bounce into the cradle of Manning.

After both Darcey and his counterpart in the Walpole net, Joe McGrath, made a save in the first overtime, Foley completed his personal masterpiece to send the home crowd on its way happily.

“I thought we did the things that we needed to do to win and made our runs after they made theirs,” Rebels head coach Jason Andalo said. “We made the plays in the end.”

Box Score

Wellesley 3 0 0 4  0 0 — 7

Walpole 1 2 1 3 0 1 — 8



Conor Foley – 4 goals

Ryan Birch – 2 goals

Cam Scales – 1 goal

Kyle Hirshom – 1 goal

Cullen McGlynn – 1 assist

Darragh Fahey – 1 assist

Joe McGrath – 6 saves



Hugh Callahan – 2 goals, 2 assists

Nick Marvan – 2 goals

Carl Callahan – 1 goal

Teddy Komjathy – 1 goal

Michael Manning – 1 goal

Michael Bomes – 1 assist

Teddy Darcey – 10 saves


Faceoff-X: Walpole 11, Wellesley 5


Video Clips